About Our Fresh Grounds Training Program
Fresh Grounds Café The Fresh Grounds Café Training Program is multi-phased vocational training program that offers opportunity youth the chance to learn and practice work skills in a supported, trauma-informed environment. The mission of the program is to promote workforce and educational attachment, confidence, and life skills for young people who are homeless/at risk, experience disabilities, and/or other challenges to mainstream employment. The training program enrolls and trains 30+ new youth annually, and includes:
A formal food and barista service training curriculum that offers young people a fun and fast–paced vocational “jump start.
- A 4-week, on-the-job curriculum that trains youth in all aspects of café service and barista skills
- A 4-week concurrent vocational workshop that assists young people to get prepared for subsequent employment such as creating a resume and/or interviewing a person in a career of their choice.
- A stipend upon completion, and linkage to employment opportunities at Fresh Grounds or in the community.
Who is a good candidate for the training program?
- Young people 15-24 who experience challenges to employment.
- Young people 15-24 who experience homelessness or are at risk of homelessness.
- Young people 15-24 who like the idea of working in a friendly, supported environment, learning to make espresso drinks, and interacting with great customers.
What are the outcomes of the training program?
- 100% of training graduates get an introduction to a real-world yet supported work experience.
- 100% of training graduates are linked to basic resources that support independence.
- 100% of training graduates are better prepared to enter the workforce and educational settings.
- 70% of training graduates are linked to subsequent employment.
How do I refer a trainee or get more information?
"I learned to improve my cooking, cleaning, and customer services skills."
"I learned how to overcome shyness and acquire better communication skills."
"I learned how to multi-task!"
I was pleased to learn that Fresh Grounds is a non-profit that provides job training for youth and others in need.